About the Professional Development Grant Program
The North Central Region SARE (NCR-SARE) Professional Development Grant Program supports state professional development programs and competitive grants for training agricultural professionals.
Professional Development Program (PDP) competitive grants emphasize training agricultural educators in extension, Natural Resources Conservation Service, private, and not-for-profit sectors, using farmers as educators and addressing emerging issues in the farm community. Generally:
- Professional Development Program awards range from $30,000 to $75,000
- Projects may last up to 36 months.
- About 5-10 projects are funded each year.
Applicants are educators who often represent, but are not limited to, Extension, Natural Resources Conservation Service, and non-profit groups.
PDP competitive grants are awarded for state and multi-state PDP projects that emphasize cross-agency training, using farmers as educators and addressing emerging issues in the farm community.
Before writing a grant proposal, determine a clear project goal and explore previous research. It often helps to contact NCR-SARE, local agriculture groups, the Natural Resources Conservation Service, and/or Extension educators to share ideas and invite participation. Use this website or call 612-626-3113 for resources to help you write your proposal.
Useful Links for the Professional Development Grant Program
- Educational and Training Opportunities in Sustainable Ag -- Compiled by the National Agriculture Library
- SARE National Continuing Education Program in Sustainable Agriculture: Sustainable Agriculture: Basic Principles and Concept Overview (Course 1)
Useful Documents and Information for the Professional Development Grant Program
- Funded PDP projects -- National SARE database of projects where PDP projects can be selected in search terms.
- Click here to view tips on writing a grant proposal
Contact Rob Myers, the Professional Development Program Coordinator, if you have questions about the competitive Professional Development Grant Program.
Professional Development Program Coordinator
University of Missouri
238 Ag Engineering Bldg.
Columbia, MO 65211
Office phone: 573-882-1547